Thursday, August 18, 2016

blurry background for color pencil work.

   I know it's been a while seen I blogged ,but I was deal with so personal stuff that I will not talk about here. This is neither the time or place for it .Even thou I do believe  that anyone that sees this blog has the right to know why it when stagnant for so long that is not what this blog is about. maybe another time another blog ,but not here and not now. Now on to what this blog is supposed to be  about  all thing art.

       Today we are going to talk about the infamous blurry background for color pencil work and, the  way I have found to achieved this without the aid of an airbrush . let me go into some backstory . There are about four art channels I am subscribed to on youtube,as you all know. One of the main ones is Lachri fine art - Lisa Clough-Lachir. All of her artwork is amazing but, she has an airbrush for her background  on her artwork. So I started to think how can I do that in my artwork without an airbrush? This question runs around in my head for mouths on end , until one Friday, I was watching Mark Crilley do one of his videos's on youtube  like he does every week,this time, he was drawing a sports car and he shows how to get the blurry shine affect on window or windshield .At which he said these fateful words that gave me the lightbulb moment"pastels are like the poor man's airbrush " at that moment I started to experiment with that technique that he showed, but instead of just a small area of a window or windshield a whole background in an image .

  Now I have two ways to do blurry backgrounds for color pencil piece : 1.) Soft/ chalk pastels: (This works best if you keep you background till last and your base drawing is done in a light graphite like a 2h or lighter.like in the image below.) I first drew out the clouds,(using a reference photo.)then I did all my color pencil work next. then I took pinks,reds and orange colored pastels and a q-tip and when thou the shapes I built into my clouds and hyped up the darks and lights.


2.) watercolor:( you are only using the watercolor as a base for color) I know what your thinking watercolor oh boy , but here me out here it really does work . this is an illustrator's trick  you put down light layers of watercolor allow to dry and then add you color pencil.(like in the image below.)
                                                                                                                                                                     but thou are the ways I handle it ,how do you? leave comments on this blog post on how you handle this problem with color pencil artwork, and as always keep drawing, for the love of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment